Sunday, September 23, 2018

Teenagers and Halloween

Halloween is quickly approaching and if you are like me and my children, looking forward to it! With my daughter being 13, a teenager, some may say "Isn't she too old to trick or treat?" I say no. Not just because she is Autistic and loves Halloween, but because she can! So I ask you, when you get that knock on the door and open it to find a Grim Reaper with pimples, a squeaky voice and a five o'clock shadow, give the kid some candy for several reasons.

You do not know everyone's story. You don't know that the 15 year old Princess Leia is actually homeless and her father is in jail, and she is just trying to have some fun. You don't know that the 17 year old Superman is taking his little sister around because Mom is working and Dad is drunk and doesn't care. You don't know that the 13 year old witch is Autistic and may look 13, but mentally is 6 and is having the time of her life.

I ask you, what would you rather see? A teenage boy taking his little sister trick or treating, or robbing the local liquer store? Perhaps the 16 year old girl standing on a street corner selling her body so she and her family can eat that night? Or both of them killed in a car crash because they were drinking at a party? I don't think so.

In closing, I say that on Halloween night when those teenagers knock on your door, give'em a high five and a Snickers bar and keep your judgement to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment